Sunday Scribbling's prompt this week is coffee. And oh I love coffee! I know many people say it's not good for me. Let's just say this is one of the few indulgences I have in life so I will keep it.
Coffee has been a part of my life. When I look back I can see events, experiences and memories associated with it:
* When I was a kid, my grandmother used to feed me rice soaked in coffee and sugar. I know... that seems horrible to feed a kid coffee, especially here on America. But on those days, back in the Philippines, my grandmother was just doing the best she can to feed me. A friend of mine teases that that's the reason why I am short, because I drank coffee when I was a kid and my growth was stunt by it. While it may be partly true, I think my height has more to do with genetics so even if I didn't drink coffee at a young age, I wouldn't be tall.
* When I was a kid, I remember how my mom always make sure that there' a fresh hot cup of coffee on the table when my dad comes home from work. It's an act of love on her part. Funny, I naturally do that at home with my husband. There's always a freshly brewed coffee when he wakes up in the morning and freshly brewed coffee when he arrives home from work.
* When I was in high school and college, coffee is my companion on those sleepless nights when I had to do homework or prepare for exams.
* When I met my husband, we were pleased that both of us like coffee. Both of us can drink it at night and go to bed without having any problem sleeping. The only difference between my husband and I is that he's a "coffee snob" and I am not. He only drinks "good fresh brewed coffee (the good beans)" while "instant coffee" does not bother me. I drink whatever kind coffee you have. My aunt used to roast rice and make rice coffee - oh I love the smell of those! I like it's taste too :). My husband would gag at the thought of it :)
* My blogging friend "Joyful Days" did a fun post on coffee HERE. If you are a coffee lover like us, don't miss her post, because you'll find cute stuff like this "coffee prayer":
Caffeine is my shepherd;
I shall not doze.
It maketh me to wake in green pastures:
It leadeth me beyond the sleeping masses.
It restoreth my buzz:
It leadeth me in the paths of consciousness
for its name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the
valley of the shadow of addiction,
I will fear no Equal:
For thou art with me; thy cream
and thy sugar they comfort me.
Thou preparest a carafe before me
in the presence of Juan Valdez:
Thou annointest my day with pep;
my mug runneth over.
Surely richness and taste shall follow me
all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the House of ....... for ever.
I love coffee. I have a cup full of it (and I am drinking it) while I type this post :). For more Scribblings on coffee, visit Sunday Scribblings.